Submission period for the 56th Annual John Gassner Memorial Playwriting award is CLOSED.
WE WILL ANNOUNCE THE WINNERS IN NOVEMBER 2023
This award will be administered by a panel of judges named by the NETC Executive Board. A staged reading of the award-winning scripts will be given at the NETC annual awards ceremony.
RULES OF ENTRY
- The contest is open to all playwrights and is for new full-length plays for adult audiences. No musicals nor plays targeted toward children
- Plays submitted to the contest must not have been
- previously published
- submitted to NETC’s Harris Playwriting Contest
- previously produced by a professional or Equity company
- Plays submitted which have had workshop productions or staged readings are eligible and encouraged.
- Plays submitted to this contest may have been submitted to another playwriting contest, and may have previously won a prize or an award in another contest. However, such plays must not have been published or professionally produced and must not be under option for publication or professional production.
- Playwrights may submit only ONE play to the contest in one year.
- All pages of the script must be numbered in sequence, along with title of play, in upper right hand corner.
- In the case of an adaptation from a book or any other source, permission from the original author is the responsibility of the playwright.
- Will I receive a response that you received my submission?
- An automatic confirmation will be sent. Individual emails about submissions will NOT be returned.
- Can the play contain music?
- All submissions MUST be plays. If your play contains 1-2 songs or snippets of songs, it will be accepted. If your play is written with music, it will NOT be accepted.
- Can it be an adaptation of a book?
- What format should it be uploaded in?
- All submissions should be in PDF format ONLY
- How should my play be labeled?
- Name of play, name of playwright, email address, and contact phone number.
- How many scripts can I submit?
- You may submit ONE script per contest year.